Aug 27, 2009

They let me play with chemicles! Suckers..

harvest wine grapes danger sonoma winery intern

Marvelous things these face masks. With it on I am impervious to all sorts of fun toxic chemicals that would otherwise cause me to cough until I passed out. We mostly get to wear these when we are gassing the barrels with SO2 which is basically sulfur dioxide. I take mine home though and keep it under my bed in the event of an end of the world scenario. Here's Cory below demonstarting the awesomeness of gassing barrels.

harvest wine grapes danger sonoma winery intern


I also got to do some real wine making today. Cory called it inoculating but I had a much longer better description. I put various yeasts, acids, and chemicals into 3 tanks to stabilize and help along fermentation. I also got to use a large whisk. Reminds me of the days when I had to whisk 100 eggs at once for banquet food at a hotel. I still got the muscles. Now, it's off to party for Dennis' 40th surprise bday. I'm 99% sure he doesn't read this blog because no one else does, so it should still be a secret. Hopefully going to meet some other interns who I imagine I'll be cooler than. Maybe they'll want to get drunk sometime and arm wrestle. Only the women of course. Party on time.

3 comments:

  1. Sweet pics Dane, I like the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) SO2 isn't "basically" sulfur dioxide - it's LITERALLY sulfur dioxide.

    and

    2) I read this blog :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a dork but I still love you. Don't get too tossed at Dennis' party ;]

    ReplyDelete