Sep 4, 2009

Most of my days are spent doing roughly the same things right now just in different order. I started the morning cleaning the bins that were coming in. There were about 120 tons total, and those are quarter ton bins. 4x120=boatload of bins. Check it:

harvest wine grapes danger sonoma winery intern

They come flying down this thing then we go ahead and hose em down and stack em:

harvest wine grapes danger sonoma winery intern

Then the rest of the morning was spent talking with Cory while we sorted some amazing grapes. We had some pretty heated debates over tattoos. But the grapes. Ah yes. These came from Nicole's Vineyard and this stuff was primo. Hardly any under ripe green grapes or debris. We took extra time and care since this is the first time we've gotten this caliber of grapes in this harvest. The blue machine in the pic below is the de-stemmer and I usually work just to the left of it where the bucket is.

harvest wine grapes danger sonoma winery intern

Then we put the grapes (gently) into our brand new tanks. These things are state of the art as far as winemaking goes. Everything is automatic on them so it was a pretty big deal to finally put our first vintage in them via forklift.

harvest wine grapes danger sonoma winery intern


As for the weekend, it looks like I have it off. I got work on Labor day, but im getting off by 5 because Hall and Oates is playing next door to my house. Like 300 feet from it. And I'm not missing that for the world. I'm going to sneak in with a walky talky strapped on so I look like security. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment